When: 4-5th of March 2020, starting at 10:00 on March 4, ending at 15:00 on March 5.
Where: Sandefjord Park Hotel, Sandefjord, Norway
WATTS UP is back for the sixth time and this year with the topic, Open Horizons. The number of ships with batteries are increasing and we see batteries being installed on more ship types than before. WATTS UP 2020 will be focusing on the battery technology development, applications on different ship types (experience, operations, design), as well as afterlife and hybrid solutions.
WATTS UP each year brings together experts and interested parties who all wish to move the maritime world towards smarter use of energy. The conference is the place to be for all who are interested in ships, batteries and hybrids, and their development. It is an opportunity to meet key personnel dedicated to technology developments as well as the end users. We hope the results of the conference will help streamline battery uptake for the maritime industry.
We hope the results of the conference will help streamline battery uptake for the maritime industry. This is an opportunity to meet key personnel dedicated to technology developments as well as the end users.
Note to MBF members: The MBF Annual General Meeting (AGM) will be held on the morning of the first conference day, from 09:00 to 10:00, before the conference starts. Please indicate whether you would like to attend the AGM when you register.
Day 1 (March 4):
- "Opening speech"
- “5 years of battery operations - watts next?” - Hans Thornell, Green City Ferries
- “Battery testing for characterization and validation” - Tomas Tengner, ABB
- “Watts up with maritime batteries when they reach their end of first life?" - Bernhard Fäßler & Martin Choux, University of Agder
- “Charging the battery powered ferry fleet – challenges, possibilities and the way forward” - Camilla Røhme & Anders Sæternes, Norwegian Public Roads Administration
- “The all electric Ellen ferry” - Cecilie Larsen, Ærø Municipality
- “Battery safety: Lessons learned from the fire aboard the MF Ytterøyningen” - Kjetil Tranberg, Corvus Energy
- “Understanding Li-ion explosion risk and fire suppression - A maritime battery safety joint development project” - Henrik Helgesen, DNV GL
Ship visit and Conference dinner (see below)
- “The MBF battery market update” - Andrea Aarseth Langli, Maritime Battery Forum
- “Past experience and future outlook from a shipbuilder’s perspective” - Syb ten Cate Hoedemaker, Damen Shipyard
- “Batteries today and tomorrow - The AIDAperla battery project" - Sebastian Sala, Carnival
- "Closed bus and hybrid systems - Experience" - Michael North, Aspin Kemp & Associates
- “Why batteries on board shuttle tankers?” - Christian Fjell, Teekay Offshore Logistics
- “The footprint of a giant - Achieving and visualizing fuel savings from battery installations in the offshore sector” - Gjord Simen Sanna, Yxney & Henning Revne, North Sea Shipping
- "Innovative offshore charging systems for vessels" - Wei He & Helge Såtendal, Equinor
- "Hybrid ferry operation from a ship design perspective" - Steinar Kostøl, Multi Maritime
- "The green marine enabler through power as a service (PaaS)" - Karstein Hilsen, Vattenfall
The optional conference dinner will be on board the wolrd’s largest plug-in hybrid passenger vessel, Color Hybrid. This will be a unique opportunity to learn more about the Color Hybrid. We will get a tour of the vessel (including the engine room/battery room and bridge), as well as two presentations on board;
- "Color Hybrid in the view of the environmental challenges in the shipping industry" - Robin Tomren, Color Line
- "Commissioning and operation of the world's largest plug in hybrid passenger vessel" - Lars-Erik Hovland
Who should attend?
Battery manufacturers, system integrators, shipyards, ship owners, ship managers, ports, authorities, research institutions, government agencies, port authorities, class societies, designers, think tanks, anyone who has an interest in ships and batteries.
Feedback from previous years:
100% of respondents to the 2017, 2018 & 2019 conferences recommend WATTS UP. The number of attendees has increased every year, and the WATTS UP 2019 achieved a record of more than 130 attendees.
- Conference ticket (both days): NOK 6000 ex. vat.
- One day: NOK 4500 ex. vat.
- Dinner: NOK 800 ex. vat.
Please do not hesitate to get in touch with us (email@example.com) if you have any questions.
List of attending companies:
American Bureau of Shipping
Aspin Kemp & Associates
Bertel O. Steen Power Solutions
Freudenberg Sealing Technologies/XALT Energy
Green City Ferries
Municipality of Ærø
North Sea Shipping
Norwegian Defence Research Establishment
Norwegian Maritime Authority
Norwegian Public Roads Administration
Ocean Hyway Cluster
OneStep Power Solutions
Scandinavia Reach Technologies
Spear Power Systems
Stove Shipping & Eastern Bulk
Teekay Offshore Logistics
Torslanda Industri & Marin
University of Agder
University of Oslo